Tag Archives: database

Weekly genealogy preview (for week 38)

13 Sep

Last week was quite relaxed, I didn’t get much work done but I did spend quite a while thinking about which direction my research is heading in the next few months. There are a couple of things I definitely want to get done this week, and three or four others that I would like to complete.

  • I need to get my organising finished this week, it is almost there so I should manage it. I am finding that I am missing sitting down to some serious research rather than the quick adding bits here and there as I go through my files, so I am aiming to get all my paper files sorted this week.
  • It has been a while since I went to an archive, so next weekend I want to make a visit. I’m not sure which one, the West Sussex Record Office looks favourite at the moment, but maybe the London Family History Centre (not strictly an archive I know but close enough), the Hampshire Record Office or the Surrey History Centre. So I need to decide which one and put together a research plan.

Those are the two most important ones, but if I get time (that if should really be in bold and capitals) I also have the following I would like to do:

  • I still need to finish updating the appearance of my blog, tidy up the sidebar and update my blogroll.
  • I have a number of blog posts I want to write, and if I am not careful they are going to fall by the wayside and won’t be timely anymore, so not worth doing.
  • I still need to find a database to record my postcards, something that will deal with several different collections and handle the images and descriptions all in one package. My biggest worry is that I will enter all my data into one program and find that I am stuck with that program forever, so I may try and just use Microsoft Access.
  • Having had a look at prezi.com last week (probably too much effort to set up each family), I am going to investigate using TiddlyWiki for presenting aspects of my family history. I particularly like the fact that all you need is a web browser to run it, and that it doesn’t need to be online (but could be).

Weekly genealogy preview (for week 37)

6 Sep

I am looking for a quiet week this week, time to put my feet up and take it easy, or at least easier. I didn’t get much research or organising done last week, I did seem to get a lot of certificates scanned but that was about it. So this week I will try and focus on filing and get most of my organising finished this week.

  • I still need to get the TROWER folder emptied and all the other lose paperwork filed. I need to set up a current projects folder for all my work in progress. So by the end of this week I want just four folders: original documents, general research material, current projects and stuff still to sort/transcribe/scan.
  • You may have noticed some changes to the sidebar of this blog, well I still have more work to do, so this week I want to try and get that finished and tidied up.
  • I want to investigate prezi.com and see if that is going to be practical solution for presenting parts of my family tree or if it is going to take too much time to set up.
  • I need to try and find a database that will store details of my postcards. I would like to scan my entire collection and be able to add notes and research to them. Maybe I can just do this with tagging, but I suspect I need a database that will handle images (fronts and backs of cards) as well as text (transcripts of messages, addresses, details of the subject etc).

Genealogy Database Cleansing

30 Jun

Instead of actually getting on with any proper research last night I got sidetracked into some genealogy database cleansing.

There are two issues with my family tree that had been bugging me for a while, they are individuals in my tree with incomplete names and individuals who are not related to me and my ancestors.

The first category contained 15 individuals, the majority (nine) with no surname (mostly wives whose maiden names have so far eluded me), five individuals had no name at all (mostly fathers of illegitimate children) and one individual with just a surname (the husband of a relation who married, where I know her married name but no other details about the marriage).

There are a number of ways I can tackle these, for instance the fathers of illegitimate children can probably be deleted for now if I have no information about them. None of them are my direct ancestors so I probably won’t be investing much (if any) time and money into finding them. So long as I make a note of the children’s names I can always add them back in at a later date.

The wives’ surnames will probably need researching because some of them are ancestors. That will mean birth or marriage certificates need ordering unless I can find the information elsewhere.

The second category of unlinked individuals contains 15 individuals, or more correctly three individuals, one family of seven and one of five. These are mostly people with the same surname as my ancestors and in the same parish as my ancestors, so probably related in some way. This also includes at least one grandchild living with (or visiting) grandparents in the census and whose parents are not yet clear.

I could remove these individuals until I know for certain how they fit in, but I think I will try and make an effort to find out how they fit in first. As a rule I don’t normally add individuals until I know how they are related, but these must have slipped through in the early days!

Chances are I am not going to be able to resolve all these problems straight away, but I still need to make sure that they are all captured on a to-do list and are all recorded in a standard format.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 113 other followers

%d bloggers like this: