Ancestry.co.uk have just released 20 million records from New Zealand. The collection is known as the Anne Bromell Collection (after the woman who collated them) and covers a cross-section of records from 1842 to 1981.
- New Zealand, City & Area Directories, 1866-1955
- New Zealand, Electoral Rolls, 1853-1981
- New Zealand, Maori Voter and Electoral Rolls, 1908 & 1919
- Canterbury, New Zealand, Provincial Rolls, 1868-1874
- New Zealand, Jury Lists, 1842-1862
- New Zealand, Maori Land Claims, 1858-1980
- New Zealand, Naturalisations, 1843-1981
I don’t know much about New Zealand family history research, but I do know that I am going to be doing some exploring of these records, especially he electoral rolls. Very few of my relations ever left England, but there is one relative in my family tree (a first cousin twice removed) by the name of James William GASSON who emigrated to Australia in 1928, but ultimately ended up in New Zealand.
The electoral rolls will be a great asset in trying to fill in some of the basic details of his life in New Zealand, as there seem precious few other records online.