Last week was a much better week for my genealogy, not that I really achieved a great deal in terms of adding people to my family tree (I blame Google Street View in part for that).
What happened is that I got sucked into researching the GEERING family from Hailsham, Sussex. It is proving an interesting challenge, there are several leads that I need to follow up and have been preparing for a visit to both the East Sussex Record Office and The National Archives. I have ordered three certificates (more about them in another post) and a copy of a will, which may give me further clues.
I did continue sorting out some more stuff on my hard drive, but I need to devote more time to that, I have lots of new scanned images which need naming and filing correctly.
So this week I intend to:
- Continue working on the GEERINGs of Hailsham. In particular I want to get the information from the two wills from the West Sussex Record Office included in Family Historian.
- Contact Hailsham library to find out what local history resources they hold. What books do they hold? Any photographs? Copies of parish registers?
- Find out if anyone has recorded monumental inscriptions for Hailsham churchyard and Hailsham cemetery.
- Work out how and when I can get to Hailsham to visit the library, the church, the cemetery and to try and find what remains if anything of the GEERING’s shop.
- Continue working on a list of records in preparation for a visit to the East Sussex Record Office and The National Archives. Work out when I am going to get the chance to visit them!
- Continue working through my digital files updating Family Historian and sorting out folders and standardising my filenames, especially the recently scanned documents.