Many genealogy bloggers post a review of the research they achieved during the week or month, but just to be different and to help me focus on what I want to achieve, I will post a preview of what I want to do with my research this coming week.
- I need to prepare for an archive visit next weekend. It has been far too long since I visited an archive, and next Saturday is probably my best opportunity to do so. I need to decide where to go (most likely the London Family History Centre), whether I can get there and what I want to find when I get there. UPDATE: I made it to The National Archives, and I was quite well prepared although the addition of Wybrants KINGHORN at short notice didn’t really help.
- My wife has asked me several times recently if I have found out where the GASSON surname comes from. I have to admit that I haven’t and in fact I haven’t gone back very far on that line for several years. I will review my research and see where I need to go next to make any progress and if it is something I want to take on at the moment. UPDATE: Definitely something I want to do, but I didn’t get around to reviewing my previous research.
- I need to consider my FAIRS research and decide whether I want to research forwards as well as backwards. What I mean is do I want to try and trace other descendants of my ancestors or just concentrate on going further back? UPDATE: I don’t think I can go back that much further now without a trip to the West Sussex Record Office, so until then I will start adding some descendants if I get time.
- I want to make a start on weeding out the rubbish from my paper folders. I have too much paper that I don’t need to keep because it could be easily recreated if needed. Anything I need to keep needs to be scanned and then filed again, but in a more organised fashion. UPDATE: Didn’t really do anything about this, I keep putting it off but maybe next week will be the week.
- I need to decide if I am going to do anything with my old 15″ flat screen monitor. I did have a crazy idea about setting up multiple monitors on my PC, but that is probably more hassle than it is worth. UPDATE: Decided I probably don’t need multiple monitors, so I will put it in storage as a spare for the time being.
- I need to make a decision about going to the National Family History Fair at Gateshead in September, and I need to make it soon otherwise all the cheap coach tickets will have gone. UPDATE: Probably won’t bother, as much as I would like to go it is probably going to be more hassle than it is worth.
It looks like there won’t actually be much research going on, but I am sure I will find time to do some more work, although much of it may well be tidying up existing data as I go through my paper folders and preparing material for an archive visit.
- I can’t forget the next episode of Who Do You Think You Are? on Wednesday evening at 9pm on BBC1. UPDATE: I saw it, enjoyed it and wrote about it.
And of course there will be a few blog posts and I might even get chance to get a few hours sleep as well, which is what I must do now!