Rather than missing out on getting my family tree in print and failing to complete my Christmas Tree Project I decided to get my chart printed today.
The printing of the chart was very easy, from Family Historian I created a pdf file of the chart. I selected a custom size for the pdf (841mm x 3276mm) and copied the resulting pdf to a flash drive.
I took the flash drive along to Kall Kwik in Horsham, West Sussex. They weren’t sure it would work, they hadn’t printed such a large pdf before. But it did work, a the result was quite impressive.
The photos didn’t come out quite right, but they are good enough, the printer is only meant for printing plans and line drawings.
There are a couple of things I will change for the next one, the font size needs increasing and the thickness of the linking lines needs increasing.
Of course the chart will never be finished, there are several details I could add in terms of residence and occupation, and I know there are a few more photos I could add.
The cost of this chart (£8.00 plus VAT) was such that I can afford to get one done every month or so. I am not sure that I can add another generation to it, it might be possible, but the print size will have to be reduced or the amount of information reduced to fit it all in.
The only problem is what to do with it, we don’t have anywhere in our flat to actually put it on permanent display. The only way I could get a photo of it all was to lay it out along our hall floor.