To get me through the working week, I am starting to look forward to a visit to the Hampshire Record Office at Winchester next Saturday.
Check their website (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/archives.htm)
- Are they open when I want to visit?
- Do they hold the information I am after?
- Do I need to book a seat in advance?
- What form of identity do I need?
- Where are they located in relation to the railway station?
Check transport (http://nationalrail.co.uk)
- What time are the trains?
- Is there engineering work that is going to make the journey too long?
- How much is it going to cost?
- Can I get there cheaper by going at a different time?
- Would it be cheaper to pay someone else to do the work?
- How long am I going to be able to spend at the record office?
So once I know the details of how I can get there and it is still worth me going, I can move on to the next stage of planning, which is defining what I actually want to find out when I am there…